Sunday 18 May 2008

Say it ain't so Jim!

So if I had to create out of whole cloth my ideal Barack Obama Vice Presidential running mate, in many ways he would look a lot like Senator Jim Webb of Virginia.

A popular southern populist and former Republican from a state Obama might switch over to the Democratic column, plus a strong national security and foreign policy background as Secretary of the Navy under Ronald Reagan - I mean, what's not to like?

So I'm really hoping that the comments he made on Meet the Press are just an "aw shucks" political disclaimer and not an ACTUAL statement of disinterest:

MR. RUSSERT: In the press release which accompanied your book, sent out by your publisher, it describes you this way: "Now, in `A Time to Fight': the celebrated junior senator from Virginia, who is already being mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate..."

SEN. WEBB: I, I didn't write that, and I didn't read it. So I know there's, there's all--you know, you have even asked me about that. But I'm not interested in doing that. I think we've done some incredibly productive things in the last year and a half in the Senate, and I've been able to do some things--you know, we just saw what John McCain said he wanted to see done. I think we've, from our office, been able to work across party lines and to really work to develop a formula where we can govern.

MR. RUSSERT: But if Senator Obama or Senator Clinton asked you, you'd be open?

SEN. WEBB: I would, I would highly discourage them is probably the best way to say it.

MR. RUSSERT: But you wouldn't be General Sherman and say no?

SEN. WEBB: You know, I--at this--at this point, no one's asking, no one's talking, and I'm not that interested, so.

No comments: