Saturday 7 June 2008

Thank You Hillary

This afternoon Hillary Clinton suspended her campaign and threw the full weight of her support behind Barack Obama, saying:

"I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

She also said:

I've had a front-row seat to his candidacy and seen his strength and determination, his grace and his grit. In his own life, Barack Obama has lived the American dream," she said. "He has dedicated himself to ensuring the dream is realized."

I endorse him and throw my full support behind him. The Democratic Party is a family and now it's time to restore the ties that bind us together, and to come together. We may have started on separate journeys but today our paths have merged.

Senator Obama released the following statement:


Obviously, I am thrilled and honored to have Senator Clinton's support.

But more than that, I honor her today for the valiant and historic campaign she has run. She shattered barriers on behalf of my daughters and women everywhere, who now know that there are no limits to their dreams. And she inspired millions with her strength, courage and unyielding commitment to the cause of working Americans.

Our party and our country are stronger because of the work she has done throughout her life, and I'm a better candidate for having had the privilege of competing with her in this campaign. No one knows better than Senator Clinton how desperately America and the American people need change, and I know she will continue to be in the forefront of that battle this fall and for years to come.

I have to heartily agree that Senator Clinton has made Barack a better campaigner and a better candidate. I also salute her as a woman who has inspired millions of Americans, who has given her life to public service, and who is singularly dedicated to improving the day to day lives of all Americans.

And so, we thank you Hillary. For your lifetime of service, and for your very gracious and warm remarks today.

No comments: