Saturday 3 January 2009

Iowa

Exactly one year ago today, on the 3rd of January 2008, Barack Obama took his first major step towards the Presidency by shocking many pundits and prognosticators with his clear win in the Iowa Caucus. By that point I had already been an eager Obama volunteer for several months, boring my friends and family both here and back home with my enthusiasm for the young Senator from Illinois.

But the folks back in Iowa were working even harder, and thank goodness they were! I happened to get a note from Rick Mullin, a blog reader recently sharing his experience as a caucus organiser on that historic night. I thought I would share it with you:
I occasionally have read your blog and enjoy it. I am a Democratic activist in Iowa, and in my precinct I helped a woman register at our precinct caucus who had flown back to Iowa from London, just to participate and vote for Obama. I was co-chair of the Obama campaign in our county, and was the Obama precinct chair for my neighborhood. Of course we had a huge turnout at our caucus for Obama, and we won our precinct (and obviously the Iowa caucuses.) Some time after that night, I thought about the woman who was so fired up for Obama that she flew to Sioux City from London just to be one more vote for Obama -- and I searched online for Londoners who were backing Obama. That's when I found your blog - good stuff.
I'll send that "good stuff" right back to ya Rick.

No comments: